What is Alfresco ABBYY OCR Cloud?
Alfresco ABBYY OCR Cloud is an addon developed by Skytizens to give our clients access to a powerful data capture service without the large price tag. This module lets users OCR documents using the ABBYY service directly from their Alfresco Document Library. For paper- and image-reliant organizations, we provide access to software that will automate time-consuming tasks and make the workday easier.
ABBYY is a leading global provider of OCR and language technology for enterprise-level businesses. ABBYY specializes in high-quality content capture software: converting paper documents and images into digital data. This module means users in Alfresco can send images, scanned text, and barcodes through the cloud to get “read” and receive a document with fully-searchable text in return.
Why is Alfresco ABBYY OCR Cloud so important?
- Quality – ABBYY is a worldwide forerunner of digital capture so results are superior
- Multilingual – the service supports over 180 languages
- Lightning Speed – direct access to an OCR service saves on employee time; document processing is completed in seconds
- Low-Volume – use this service even if your company doesn’t meet the volume requirements or expenditure level of a typical ABBYY client
- Cloud-Based – no need for a dedicated server—just send and receive jobs in the cloud
The Benefits of Alfresco ABBYY OCR Cloud
Alfresco ABBYY OCR Cloud was developed because Skytizens had clients that would benefit from professional OCR services but yet did not stack up against the size of most enterprise-level companies. Typical ABBYY customers at the enterprise level secure their own high-volume accounts—with a high-volume price tag to match. Whether due to size, budget, or volume of data capture jobs, some companies simply don’t need a dedicated or unlimited service. With this module, medium and smaller companies have access to the service at lower volumes. These companies can purchase an allowance of crucial data conversion pages based on their level of usage and still automate certain tasks without leaving their Alfresco Document Library.
How Does It Work?
Alfresco ABBYY OCR Cloud uses cloud technology to connect Alfresco to the ABBYY Cloud service. A cloud-based account is created for the company where they have a limited number of pages for OCR conversion. Clients choose their company package based on their level of need.
Alfresco ABBYY Cloud is a group of servers dedicated to data capture work.
From the Document Library, users can send scanned files to the ABBYY Cloud for processing into text. Once complete, the document comes back as a fully-searchable document saved in a designated landing folder. Now the text from the file is available for access, indexing, and searching by keyword in Alfresco’s Live Search. ABBYY deletes the file from their server once it has been processed.
Alfresco users can choose to send their files for Alfresco ABBYY OCR processing in three ways:
- Single Files
- Batch Mode
- Auto Conversion (by Folder Rule)
Users can watch the process on the ABBYY dashlet in Alfresco. A single file is typically processed in less than 10 seconds.
Integration with OCR via Web Services – Available for Windows and Linux.
Language Settings– Language settings can be set in two locations. The Alfresco administrators can set the default language for the entire system. Users can set OCR module language settings different than the system default, depending on their scope of work.
Administrative Settings – Control how Alfresco and ABBYY interact in the Admin Tools area.
- Parameters – Tell Alfresco if it should ask for parameters from users when using the module. If this box is left unticked, users will execute conversions in the default settings.
- Multilingual Support – Select the language to recognize on incoming documents.
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Chinese (Traditional)
- Output Format – Choose the format of the output document.
- ABBYY Cloud OCR Account – username and password of the client’s service account
OCR Processing (Single File)–On a daily basis, users will probably use this feature to process image files one-by-one into text format. This option is available on the action menu of each file in the Document Library.
Batch Mode (Multiple Files)–When a user needs to process a large volume of files at once, this option is best. The files are selected in the Document Library and can be sent as a group using the Skytizens Features menu.
Auto OCR Conversion (by Folder Rule) – Users can create one or many special folders to automatically convert documents using module from the folder’s action menu, under Manage Rules.
- Perform Action: Send to Alfresco ABBYY Cloud – A user can dictate that all files entering this folder will be sent to OCR.
- Relative Folder Path – Designate file destination other than root folder for ABBYY OCR processed files. Designate a automatically sorting file structure using JAVA date format.
- Languages – Choose the detection language for the OCR activities related to this folder.
Scan Types – Send documents to external cloud using ABBYY Cloud webservice.
Recognized Files – The below mimetypes are recognized by this module.
Dashlet – This module features a handy window to watch file processing directly from a user’s dashboard.
- Progress – Track OCR jobs in progress or completed.
- Pages – See how many pages are available from each job.
- Refresh Button – Press for updates on module activity.
Permissions Control – The ability to initiate a Workflow is managed by Group and Role.
- Group Access – Permission to use the feature is given by the client’s administrator by designating members of a group.
- Role Access–Permission to use this feature on certain files is given by managers based on role access in the Alfresco system.
No need to overspend on OCR software just to get world-class results. Now there is a better fit for your data capture needs. Get access to the Alfresco ABBYY Cloud from Alfresco without the hefty price tag.
Previously only available to enterprise clients and imaging specialists, now the Alfresco ABBYY Cloud is available to you. Medium and smaller-sized companies can now use Alfresco ABBYY OCR Cloud to hook up to this insanely fast, professional OCR technology.
Featuring over 180 languages, barcode recognition, handwriting recognition, and image-to-text conversions, this addon lets smaller companies play with the big dogs when it comes to machine reading. Just because a company is smaller doesn’t mean they have to do manual data entry anymore. Having fewer employees means that each staff person’s time is extremely valuable. It’s time to take advantage of automated data capture with Alfresco ABBYY Cloud OCR.