What is Alfresco Permissions Audit?
Alfresco Permissions Audit is a Skytizens-developed addon that allows users to analyze permissions on multiple files at once. With the ability to audit by individual file or by entire folder, this Alfresco module displays a rundown of current permissions settings in a single glance. Typically used as part of a company’s risk management strategy, this addon allows file managers to review which files are accessible by which users.
Why is Permissions Audit so important?
- Efficient risk management – File managers can review batch access to multiple files in a single view and manage the permissions of many files on the large scale
- Save time – No need to examine files one-by-one as in typical Document Management Systems
- Non-intrusive – Permissions settings remain out of sight for typical users
- Handy – Audit report can be exported and are searchable in both HTML and MS Excel with the Find function (Ctrl+F)
The Benefits of Alfresco Permissions Audit
The Alfresco Permissions Audit addon is part of a company’s overall risk management strategy.
Searchable using the Find function Ctrl+F
How Does It Work?
From the Alfresco Document Library, file managers can access the Permissions Audit in the action menu of any folder. When selected, a pop-up window will appear listing every file and subfolder with the details of the permissions settings. The audit indicates if the file has inherited permissions from the parent folder, the users and groups who currently have access, and the Role Permissions settings for that file. File managers can audit the permissions of a single file as well. All audit reports can be exported to MS Excel. Audit reports are searchable via the Find function (Ctrl+F).
An added feature of this module is the display of a small banner with the viewer’s role on all files and folders as they are being viewed in the Document Library. This makes access readily understandable as a user moves from file to file.
Audit Permissions – User can check any folder to see a breakdown of the permissions controls on each file therein. Users can also check individual files. The audit report appears as a scrollable list in a pop-up window in HTML format with the following information:
- Filename – the file or folder name contained in the audited folder
- Type – designates if the file is a single document or a folder
- Inherit – Yes indicates the file/folder has automatically inherited permissions from a parent folder. No indicates that the inherited permissions have been manually turned off.
- Custom permissions are visible in this column. Custom options are broken down into various Yes/No details based on how the file manager has set up the permissions.
- User/Group – displays which users and groups have access to this file
- Role – Indicates the highest Role within the permissions ranking that has access to this role. All roles subordinate to the listed Permissions Role also have access.
Permissions Indicator – A secondary feature of the Alfresco Permissions Audit module is a small banner displayed on each file and folder in the Document Library. The banner lists the role permission of the user who is currently viewing the folder. It helps users to stay aware their various role designations throughout the Document Library as they move from file to file.
Export – Users with access to the Permissions Audit addon can export the HTML pop-up version of the audit report to an Excel file for simplified reading and sharing capabilities.
Permissions Control – Access to the Permissions Audit feature is managed by Group and Role.
- Group Access – Permission to use the feature is given by the client’s administrator by designating members of a group. Use of the Permissions Audit feature is typically reserved for high-access users only.
- Role Access – To use this module, a user must have a role designation that allows writing and managing permissions within the system.
Forgot who can see what…and when? Now you can check permissions at a glance.
Skytizens has developed an addon that allows users to audit the permissions settings of folders within the Alfresco Document Library. The Permissions Audit addon is typically for high-access users who are approved to write and manage permissions within the system. These staff people—typically department or file managers—are the ones responsible for handling a company’s risk management strategy. The Permissions Audit saves them time and makes their job easy by allowing them to manage multiple file permissions at a single glance. The secondary feature of the module is to clearly display on each file and folder the role of the viewer (i.e. Collaborator, Manager, Read-Only, etc.). This secondary feature is visible to all users in the Alfresco system.