What is Alfrsco HTML5 Media Player?
The HTML5 Media Player addon for Alfresco is a combo audio/video player and file converter for Alfresco. The media player provides Flash or Silverlight fallback players for non-HTML5 browsers so that users in Alfresco can preview media files. The HTML5 Media Player also has the ability to convert video files to MP4 and audio files to MP3 for uniform storage.
This media player is supported on all devices including iPhone, iPad, Android smartphones, tablets, and more.
Why is HTML5 Media Player so important?
- Save storage space – open and view media files in Alfresco without downloading files to your local computer
- Compatible – opens virtually any media file including mp4, avi, vlc, 3gx, 3pg, asf, avx, mov, movie, mp2, mpg, ogv, wmv, flac, aiff, au, m4v, m4a, oga, wav, ogg, and more
- Sharing – because of the web-embedded HTML5 format, the media player is shareable by website link (URL)
- Collaboration – social-media-style interactions such as like, favorite, and comments are possible within Alfresco
The Benefits of HTML5 Media Player
Skytizens has developed the HTML5 Media Player addon into Alfresco so that all media files can play from within Alfresco without having to be downloaded. No extra software necessary.
How Does It Work?
The HTML5 Media Player is the default player that the Skytizens version of Alfresco uses to open media files. Any media file uploaded to the Alfresco Library will be recognized by this module, converted to a compatible file format for storage in Alfresco, and embedded in the Library using this media player. By navigating to any media file in the Library, this module will be used to view or play the file. The media player has all the navigation tools of any standard media player.
Graphical User Interface (GUI) – The HTML5 Media Player addon looks like any standard media player. It has all the functions for viewing and navigating through media files that a user needs.
Load – Using this module, Alfresco automatically loads any media file for preview.
Play – Users can play the video or music file.
Pause – Users can pause the video or music file.
Time Slider– Users can use the slider tool to navigate the media file from beginning to end and any point in between.
Volume – User can control the volume level of the audio or video file using this tool.
Full Screen – On video files, users can toggle between full-screen mode using this button and the escape (ESC) button.
Interaction Options – Users can react and post social-media-style interactions in the Alfresco system which other users can see when viewing the same file.
- Favorite – Users can mark this media file as a “favorite” using the yellow star icon. A running list of a user’s favorite media files is located on the Home page dashboard, under the My Documents dashlet. Users can view a list of only their “favorite” files using the dropdown menu in the corner of the dashlet.
- Like – Users can “like” this media file using a thumbs-up icon. The media player will keep track of how many users have liked the file.
- Comment – Users can comment on the media file. Comments appear below the preview on the screen with the name of the commenter’s username and a timestamp for their posted comment.
- Share – Users can share the media file. The link to the media file takes users to a site where the media file is available in the same media player.
- Public link – URL of the file embedded in the player on a website
- Days – designate the number of days this file will be available for viewing
- Share with – Alfresco gives the option to share this link in an appropriate way to the following applications. Alfresco will use the social media or email open in the same browser to share the file name and a link. If the user is not currently signed into the chosen application, it will ask for login information.
- Google Plus
Now you can preview various media files directly in your web browser without using additional software. This module allows the Alfresco Document Library to open all kinds of media files so you can see them online just as easily as you watch your favorite Youtube videos.
The Alfresco HTML5 Media Player addon was developed by Skytizens to enable viewing of all media files within the Alfresco library. There is no need to download media files to local computers before viewing them. It takes away the hassle of searching for compatible media players since it can play virtually every media file.
With the HTML5 Media Player addon, users remain within the Alfresco system when dealing with media files. Users don’t have to navigate away from Alfresco, which saves time for everybody. The module makes it a breeze to work with media files, use media files for workflow, and send media files as part of collaborative projects.
|Alfresco Component Type|